#SGAHJUMMA Time !
Throwback to last Christmas (2016). We had a Xmas party with the KBS (Korean Boyfriend & Spouse ) group at the top floor function room of The Sail Marina Bay’s condo. It was an awesome party with the kids ! The wives/fiancees were at one table chatting away , taking care and playing with the kids and had our own gift exchange. Whereas at the other table were the husbands/fiances rounding up for beer and chats. The kids were running around non-stop and i guessed they had a good sleep that night.
On Xmas eve, we went to Ah Ma’s house for Xmas party and on Xmas day, hubs and i just nua at home.
We also had our “Red and White” Christmas with Korean Ddokbokki (rice cakes) and instead of turkey , we had Jjimddak (Soy chicken).
How to cook Korean Spicy Rice Cake (Ddokbokki) ?
1) Boil 4-5 cups of water with kelps and anchovies ( to make the stock ). After the water boiled , take the kelps and anchovies out and throw them away.
2) In a bowl , add 5 table spoons of Korean Chilli Paste , 1.5 table spoon of sugar , 1 table spoon of Korean chilli flakes. Mix them together in the bowl.
3) Put in the Korean rice cake slices and Korean fish cakes (Odeng or Or-Muk) , chopped spring onions (in 2 inches long) and 2 peeled hard boil eggs into the boiling water.
**Hubby asked for this dish last minute and i couldn’t find Korean fish cakes at the nearest supermarket , so i replaced it with our chinese fish cakes and tau kee lol. I added in the left over zucchini in the fridge and cabbage as you can see in the picture. The traditional style is to add spring onions, fish cakes and eggs only.
4) Add in the sauce from 2) into the boiling water and mix well.
5) Let it boil for 15-20 minutes. Once the sauce becomes sticky , it is about time to be served.
Yes it is that easy. If you want , you can add in instant noodles and let it boil inside and it will be come a dish called Ra-Bokki (Ramyeon + Ddokbokki).
How to cook JjimDdak ?
1) Making the sauce. Mix 4.5 table spoons of soya sauce , 1.5 table spoon of sesame oil , 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper , 3 table spoon of sugar and 1 table spoon of minced garlic in a bowl.
3) Sliced some ginger . oil the frying pan and fry the sliced ginger.
4) Wash and dry the chicken parts before putting it into the frying pan to fry with the ginger slices. Once the skin of the chicken turned abit and slightly golden , add in water. Water should cover the chicken parts in the pot.
Add in sliced onions , potato and carrot chunks
5) Add in the sauce from step 1) and stir.
6) Let it boil and add 1 more table spoon of soya sauce and sprinkle black pepper. Add 1 tea spoon of salt.
7) Let it boil for about 20 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle chopped green onions for garnishing and ready to serve.
Some of my friends asked why the colour of my Jjimddak is so nice and dark but theirs are not ? Because i add in 1.5 tea spoon of the chinese dark soya sauce for colouring. Also , i didnt add dried chilli inside this time because i was having sore throat and cannot eat spicy food. If you want , you can also add in Korean potato starch noodle. Soak them in water and add them in at step 5.
Super easy to cook if you have the sauces.